Translate

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Simple Sweet Potato Fries

I love that my kids love Sweet Potato Fries.  I love it even more when I make them from scratch rather than buying the bag of frozen fries that are so temptingly easy to prepare.  The great thing is that my kids like the ones I make more.  I think it is totally amazingly fantastic whenever I hear them say to their friends that homemade is best!




This time of year is always a bit of a blur for us.  We are on the cusp where the school year transitions into the summer holiday.  One set of activities is winding down just as another set is gearing up.  The days become longer and our bedtime tends to get later.  I was pondering what I was going to make for dinner last night when I remembered that I had sweet potatoes in the larder.  That combined with leftover chicken and swiss chard from the weekend made for a quick meal that we could all eat as our schedule allowed.


There are 2 things that I have in my kitchen that make preparing sweet potato fries a breeze.  The first is a crinkle cutter that I received as a wedding shower gift some 13 years ago, and the second is a Tupperware bowl that was purchased during a Tupperware party frenzy that I went on when I first moved abroad.  It was touted as a "great way to get to know people".  Four Tupperware parties later, I was finally out of the obligatory party attendee loop, but this trusty bowl is one purchase I never regretted.

As for the fries themselves, I simply cut up the potatoes and put them in the large Tupperware bowl.  I then pour about 1/4 cup of olive oil over the top and sprinkle them liberally with Lawry's Seasoned Salt.  I put on the lid doing the classic Tupperware lid burp, and then shake like crazy.  I also prepare regular white potato fries this way too.  After shaking substantially, pour the potatoes out on a cookie sheet and bake in a 400F oven for about 45 minutes.


The range of recipes for making sweet potato fries is vast, and I'm constantly amazed at the combinations and creativity of others.  I often have a go at fancier variations, but always rely on my trusty crinkle cutter and Tupperware bowl to get the job done.




No comments:

Post a Comment