Translate

Friday, May 17, 2013

Super Simple Sugar Cookies

I love decorating things.

I love simplicity even more.

This week I needed to provide a sweet treat for a kid's pizza party.  I have been hoarding a couple of pouches of sugar cookie mix in the pantry, but wanted to prepare something a little more special than just plain sugar cookies.  I surveyed my pantry further and found some leftover sprinkles from a birthday party, and some pink sugar left over from Valentine's Day.  Bingo.  I love it when I can clear out some odds and ends that have been lingering in the cupboard.

Begin by making your favorite sugar cookie recipe,  cheat a little by using a box cookie mix, or cheat a lot by buying the refrigerated cookie dough logs.




Next, form the dough into a log, wrap the log in plastic wrap or wax paper and place the dough in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes.  If using refrigerated dough, place in freezer prior to opening the plastic package.

Once the dough has firmed in the freezer, spread the sugar or sprinkles on a platter or tray and roll the dough log in the sugar/sprinkles.


Now, to cut the cookies the best way to keep the round shape is to use string or dental floss.  I personally prefer dental floss, unused of course, due to the fact that is is manufactured to be put in the mouth.  I don't know if that truly means it is more hygienic  but at least it makes me feel like I'm using something cleaner than thread.

After cutting the dough into slices approximately 1/2 inch thick, place the slices on a cookie sheet and bake according to the package or recipe.  With the box cookies I baked them at 375F for approximately 12 minutes on my favorite cookie sheet.


This was a perfect way for me to provide a pseudo home made treat for the party.  It was a busy day, but I put a smile on the kid's faces and left them asking how did you do that?  I love nothing more than seeing a home made treat sitting next to all the boxes of store bought goodies and hearing my kids crow, "My mom made that."  That feeling is only topped by hearing them boast, "I made that."


No comments:

Post a Comment